Friday, October 24, 2008

Clarkson ties No. 1

Friday's home opener at Cheel Arena ended in a 1-1 tie with top-ranked Colorado College.
Clarkson was outshot 34-23 but played even with the Tigers throughout the game. Neither team appeared to have more good scoring chances than the other.
Few assorted notes:
Colorado College improved to 33-for-33 on penalty kills this season.
Missing top faceoff man Chris D'Alvise to a one-game suspension, the Golden Knights struggled at the circle and went 30-50. Two players did well in the circle, however. Freshman Louke Oakley went 6-1 and junior Matt Beca was 5-2. Colorado College's Chad Rau was 21-10.
Colorado College's Brian Connelly had seven shots on goal to lead all players and Rau and Mike Testwuide each had five. Mark Borowiecki and Nick Tremblay each lead Clarkson with 3 shots.

Leftover quotes:
Colorado College coach Scott Owens:
"I thought (Clarkson's) young guys played well. I expected their freshmen might need more seasoning, but they played well."

Clarkson coach George Roll:
"We don't want to be satisfied with a tie."

Clarkson goalie Paul Karpowich on his home debut:
"I think I was more relaxed (than last week). I knew what to expect. Tonight (the fans) were on my side."

Clarkson forward Brandon DeFazio on playing CC on standard ice (85 feet wide) as opposed to CC's World Arena (100 feet wide) where Clarkson was outscored 11-3 in two games last year:
"It's a huge difference, especially for our team. Their game is speed and with a big surface that plays to all their benefits."

Clarkson sophomore Lauri Tuohimaa on his start (3 goals) and how he feels compared to last year:
"I can't complain. To be honest today I only had one shot and that went in, so it's been a lot of luck. ... I feel much more confident on the ice and I'm a little more experienced. Last year I didn't know what to expect."

1 comment:

chasnaj said...

Cap,
Thanks for the extra material here. It's a great read.