Thursday, November 13, 2008

Better Know a Knight


photo courtesy of Clarksonathletics.com

We started a new feature this year, every week we alternate with Clarkson and St. Lawrence players, asking them a few questions. This is not posted online so I'll post this week's here. It features Chris D'Alvise.

Class: Senior
Position: Forward
Height, weight: 5-10, 175 pounds
Hometown: Missassauga, Ontario
Major: Entrepreneurship
Favorite movies: Count of Monte Cristo, Fubar, The Last Samurai

WDT: You were the Most Outstanding Player of the 2007 ECAC Hockey
Tournament, what was that whole experience like and how did it feel to not
just win a league title, but also earn an award like that?

D'Alvise: It was definately the highlight of my hockey career because we
accomplished something that we had set out to do eight months earlier. Also
the way in which we were able to come back from a two-goal deficit (against
Quinnipiac) made it that much more special. I was probably most happy for
our seniors, who helped bring the program back to a national level, because
they had to endure those tough years and it was nice to see them go out on
top. I was honored to receive the award because it could have gone to a
number of people that weekend.

WDT: You may be the biggest sports fan on the team, do you remember how old
you were when you started getting interested in sports and what are the
sports you most enjoy watching?

D'Alvise: I was five years old when my dad (Dan) started bringing me to
Toronto Argonauts (CFL) games. That year they won the Grey Cup and I became
hooked. The Leafs started making a push for the Stanley Cup and the Blue
Jays won back to back World Series the following two years. I most enjoy
watching NFL football because of the intensity that the players and fans
bring to the game.

WDT: If you were not a hockey player, but could be an athlete, college or
pro,in any other sport, what sport would you like to play and what position
and team or school would you want to play for?

D'Alvise: Running back for the Buffalo Bills.

WDT: Your dad played on the 1980 Canadian Olympic team. Have you ever
gotten a chance to see film or video of him from his playing days and what
kind of role has he played in your own hockey career?

D'Alvise: I watched highlights of when they faced off with Russia in the
quarterfinals and it was amazing the passion that they played with knowing
that they were playing not only for a medal, but for their country as well.
My dad has helped my career immensely whether it be giving me a playing tip
or simply calming me down and putting the game in perspective for me.

WDT: I've heard you, Shea Guthrie and Matt Beca name your sticks. When did
you start doing that, why do you like to do it and would you share their
names?

D'Alvise: Shea and I began doing it our sophomore year for a little humor
and Matt Beca has since jumped on board. Beca currrently names his sticks
after soccer players and Shea....well, its Shea, he's unpredictable.

WDT: You and Shea Guthrie have played on the same line for almost all the
games of your career. What is it about you two that have made you so
effective as linemates?

D'Alvise: We are good friends off the ice and I think that translates well
on the ice because we communicate well and neither of us will take it
personal if the other gives some criticism.

WDT: Who is going to win the Grey Cup and why?
D'Alvise: Calgary Stampeders. They are the CFL version of the New York
Giants, strong defense and an offense that can run over you or pick you
apart with the passing game.

WDT: You've stayed pretty healthy during your career, how are you doing
having to sit out possibly a few games with your current injury? What do
you do when you can't play to try to stay involved in the game or is that
really impossible?

D'Alvise: I've noticed I'm more nervous when im not playing and it stinks
not being able to play, but I try to watch individual guys on our team and
learn from their strengths to try to better myself as well as watching what
the opposition does in order to help our guys out during the intermissions.

WDT: What have you liked best about playing at Clarkson?
D'Alvise: The people that I have met, the friendships I have gained, and
the atmosphere on a Friday and Saturday night at Cheel Arena.

No comments: